Over the last decade I have seen many firms use the Time Matters messenger. I have debated about it. I have discussed it in many situations with law firms, developers and consultants. Although I can see the value to the theory of it, my experience is that is can cause too many stability issues. (Don’t get me wrong when I started in 2001 I made money fixing messenger issues in Time Matters Professional all of the time)
A recent post to the Time Matters get satisfaction forums goes a long way to backing up my decision to not implement Time Matters messenger at any of my firms, especially a firm with a large number of users. I specialize in ensuring Large data sets in Time Matters does not mean reduced stability. Here is a portion of the post from a LN tech support person:
We have been able to isolate specific conditions that can get in the way of the Messenger working properly, however, so you can look at some of these things as possible issues:
– Google Chrome can prevent the Time Matters Messenger from being able to open while the Chrome window is open. Try rebooting the computer and go directly to the Time Matters Messenger without launching Google Chrome.
– Dragon Naturally Speaking can cause intermittent issues with both Time Matters and the Time Matters Messenger. If you have this, try disabling it to test.
– Some HP Printer software can cause the Time Matters Messenger to lock or freeze. If you have HP Printers in the office, try running the Time Matters Messender in Safe Mode w/ Networking. If it works fine in this environment, then it may be a driver conflict.
– Logitech Setpoint (which is for Logitech wireless keyboards/mice) can cause the Messenger to lock or freeze. If you have this software running, try closing it then attempt to use the Time Matters Messenger again.
– ActiveWords can cause the Messenger to lock or freeze. If you have this software running, try closing it then attempt to use the Time Matters Messenger again.
– Ensure that your Windows DPI settings are set to 96. Any other setting has shown to cause issues with both Time Matters and the Time Matters Messenger.
– If you utilize the TM Save function from within Microsoft Word, Excel or PowerPoint and have recently used the TM Save function, try closing the Microsoft product and attempt to use the Messenger again.
– The MS Office Connector add-in from Outlook has been known to cause the Time Matters Messenger to crash wehn you open Microsoft Outlook. Disabling this add-in will resolve this issue.